January 12, 2012

Making Lemonade

Andrea told me this morning that "wasatch and beyond is getting pretty pathetic!"

Unfortunately, she is right - but its not our fault! We are having one of the driest and most pathetic winters in history. In terms of snowfall, right now 2011-2012 is primed for a podium spot in the "least snowy winters of all-time" competition. This is obviously the exact opposite of last year's 800" winter, where every day was a powder day! Backcountry conditions are sketchy at best in the spots where there is even enough snow to make turns. I hate to admit this, but we've only been out on skis once so far - and that was to skin inbounds laps at Brighton.

When winter hands you lemons, you make lemonade, right? The upside of the mild winter is that I've gotten my mileage back up into the 130-140 / week range a lot quicker than expected, and I'm feeling great. So good, in fact, that I've decided to run a spring marathon. Yesterday I got an elite entry to the Boston Marathon.

And now that I'm running Boston, I'm sure the weather patterns will completely shift and it will get downright stormy for the next couple months :-)

I'm really excited about the opportunity to run Boston, and hopefully have a breakthrough race that will be redemption of sorts after falling apart in Philadelphia last fall. A lot of friends from Utah are also heading east in April, so we'll be traveling with a great group of folks and this is going to be a lot of fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment